Expert Offers Tips on MRSA Prevention
It is estimated that 130,000 people are hospitalized each year with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and that the average cost of treating each patient is in the tens of thousands of dollars. MRSA is an antibiotic-resistant infection can be transmitted through human-to-human or surface-to-human contact, posing a serious threat to adults and children. If untreated, the infection can ultimately result in death.
“Proper hand hygiene is the first and most important step in preventing diseases such as MRSA,” states Jean Fleming, R.N., MPM, CIC – Infection Control Education Manager for PDI, the healthcare division of Nice-Pak Products, Inc. “Everyone needs to know that being germ-free is easy as long as they follow a few simple rules.”
• Frequently sanitize hands after competing or working out
• Regularly wipe down mats, helmets, protective padding, common-area surfaces and other equipment
• Immediately treat and wrap all scrapes, burns and rashes
• Ensure availability of soap and water and encourage routine showering after each practice or game
• Make CLEAN towels available and have them washed immediately after each use
For more than 20 years, PDI® has pioneered the development, testing, manufacturing and marketing of pre-moistened wipes as the optimal system for infection prevention and control. With trusted brands including Sani-Hands® for Kids, Sani-Dex® ALC, Hygea® and Chlorascrub®, PDI serves the healthcare market through hospitals, physician and dental offices, emergency medical services, long-term care, schools and a variety of other healthcare facilities. PDI is the Healthcare Division of Nice-Pak Products Inc., headquartered in Orangeburg, New York. For more information, visit www.pdipdi.com or contact Rosica Strategic Public Relations.